Miro is defined by its developers as "the open-source Internet TV platform". In fact, it aims to bring together a community of broadcasters to create, what it calls, an 'Internet video ecosystem'. But besides all these elaborate definitions, Miro is simply a great application to watch online videos.
Miro uses open protocols to let you subscribe to video channels and video blogs that are fed in via RSS, and uses BitTorrent to download the files. You can also watch videos from Youtube and Dailymotion, or use it to subscribe to a Youtube channel you like, for example. Miro supports video playlists and can resume playback just where you stopped. You can even watch those videos on a separate window while you keep on browsing Miro's Guide
This guide is actually a welcome one, as it helps you get started with Miro and also lets you search and browse the various channels effortlessly. Not only can you browse through the existing channel list, but you can easily add new channels to the sidebar simply by clicking a button to subscribe. There are more than two thousand channels available, and all of them are free. Beware, however, that the video quality may vary from one channel or video source to another, and that there may be video services that are not available in your country.
Miro is a perfect example of how video content from different sources can be integrated into one single application and served directly to your PC in a fast, easy and elegant way.
- * Bug fixes
- - (all) crash on database upgrade: OperationalError: no such table: dtv_variables
- - (OS X) Vimeo "likes" are not downloaded
- - (all) Intermittent Vimeo download failure
- - (Windows) Monitor goes into power saving mode while playing back
- - (Windows) Mouse doesn't disappear in fullscreen playback mode on windows
- - (all) clicking yes to donate resets the counter to 100 but doesn't wait 6 months before displaying the ask again
- - (all) Re-fetch 7-digital data
- - (all) Crash in check_subprocess_hung
- - (all) n _scrape_vimeo_download_errback TypeError: sequence index must be integer, not 'str'
- - (all) AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'